This recipe was created for The Newcastle Advertiser along with an article about my food journey.
Check out the article on this site below.
Gooseberry Gin Mojito and Berry Popsicle Cocktail
Popsicle cocktails are the next level party starter. Serve these without alcohol for the kids, make your own Mojito on the side, and add the popsicles in your glass.
Recipe for Popsicles
• 2 litre Sprite with cucumber and mint lemonade
• 1 handful of gooseberries
• 1 packet of mint
• 1 handful of blueberries
• 1 handful of cherries
• 1 handful of pomegranate for garnish
• (use a variety of other berries as an alternative to gooseberries and blueberries)
• 4 ice cream sticks
• Popsicle container
- In a jug pour half of your Spirite (1 litre)
- Take half of your assorted berries and cherries and set aside to use for the Mojito.
- Slice your berries in half and poke holes in your cherries with a fork to release flavour.
- Pour your fruits into the jug
- Mix the ingredients with a fork and lightly press and squeeze the sliced berries to release flavour while mixing
- Cut the springs off the mint and lightly scrape the leaves on the mint before adding into the jug to enhance the flavour of the mint
- Add into jug and mix all the ingredients until well combined
- Pour into the popsicle containers and freeze until overnight or until set
- Serve on a bowl or platter scattered with ice to maintain temperature
- Garnish with pomegranate, seeds and mint
Recipe for Berry and mint Mojito
• The remaining half of the sprite(1 litre)
• Your gin of choice, 250 ml’s per 1 litre
• The remaining half of all your berries and cherries
• The remaining mint
• 4 spoons sugar
• 3 spoons dried mint
- Pour 250 ml’s or desired amount of gin according to your taste into a jug and add Sprite until well combined
- Repeat process of slicing fruit, poking holes into cherry, scraping the leaves on the mint then add into your cocktail and lightly press the fruits while mixing until well combined.
- In a saucer, add your sugar and dried mint (or finely chop your mint into tiny pieces) then mix together until well combined
- In a medium sized bowl, add small amount of water.
- Take the rim of your glass and dip into water for 3 seconds
- Immediately place the rim of the glass that was dipped into water and place on the sugared mint until it is evenly covered.
- Carefully pour your mojito into your glass ensuring you do not pour on the sugared edges.
- Dip the popsicle into your mojito and let it rest for 2 minutes before serving